Social Media Day was started in 2010 by Mashable.com in an effort to celebrate social media’s impact on the global community. June 30, 2015 has been officially named “Social Media Day” in over 630 cities. From San Diego, CA, USA to Tokyo, Japan, in-person meetups are happening to connect folks who have engaged via social media channels.
Wondering what you can do to celebrate, even if you aren’t in one of the 630 cities? We’ve compiled a list for you of things you can do to participate in Social Media Day 2015!
- Tweet, post, or pin anywhere on the internet with the hashtag #SMDay or #SMDay2015
- Invite someone you met online to have coffee with you via a Skype meeting, Google hangout or Facebook messenger video call
- Send a thank you tweet to someone who has influenced you via Social Media
- Make a Vine, Instagram or YouTube video with a shout out to someone (or many someones) who have taught you something via Social Media
- Post a picture of yourself with a celebratory beverage (adult-type optional) with the hashtag #SMDay
- Write a blog post with a story of how you met someone via social media who has impacted your life
- Repost and Instagram post from your favorite #iger thanking them for their influence on you
What other ideas can you add to our list of ways to celebrate Social Media Day 2015?
P.S. We would love to see and share your posts, pins, tweets, and pics – so add the hashtag #YouBeingSocial so we can find you!!